This weekend we took a trip to Vienna, Austria. So Saturday was Kieran's birthday and his request was to go to the zoo and see the otters. (Otters are his favorite animals.) Schloss Schönbrunn is a big palace with gardens, parks, a maze, and even a zoo! So that is where we went!
We're off to see the otters...the wonderful otters in the zoo.
Kieran turned seven!
We started out from our hotel (which is across the street from the "Stadtpark" which is the "city park" downtown.) Here is a cool clock made out of flowers there!
We also found a golden Johann Strauss in the park.
We took the Stadtpark metro to the Schönbrunn station.
We found a Lindt Chocolate store. (Yay!)
Cool flowers arranged in curlie-cues at the Schönbrunn gardens. This is also a giant greenhouse called the "Palmengarten."
This is the zoo! It's the oldest zoo in the world.
They were making a new home for the "Eisbären" (Ice bears, or polar bears).
They had a cool water activities station with activities you could do.
You had to pump the water yourself.
They also had a cool playground.
Mission accomplished! We found the otters!
This guy kept trying to give us his rocks. It was really cute.
There were two of them.
I have to admit, they were pretty cute.
After the zoo, we headed toward the maze, passing by the Neptune fountain.
Which way should we go?
I'm not lost. Really.
No, really.
They had activities in the middle of the maze.
And a playground, too.
Here is the Schloss Schönbrunn (the Palace).
On the other end of a large central garden across from the Schloss and up a hill was the "Gloriette" which is this funky building with arches by a totally-square man-made duck pond.
See the duck.
The view of the Schloss from the Gloriette.
Cool dramatic picture of the ceilings at the Gloriette.
There were a ton of horse-drawn carriages everywhere in Vienna.
The front side of the Schloss.
My mom. She likes the Schloss because it is yellow.
Someone was getting married.
That was pretty fun. More from Vienna later.
Happy Birthday, Kieran!!!


















































Ooo I love Schönbrunn! I used to go there and run in the park. I lived just two stops down the line on Baumgarten Straße when I did my study abroad in Wien!! So wish I could be with you now!
ReplyDelete