"Pioggia" means "rain" in Italian.
We drove to Venice from Vicenza last Monday. Our car was nearly washed away in a rainstorm in Vicenza where we had parked for church (which was cancelled half way through), and it was still raining through the night, so we thought for sure the Piazza San Marco in Venice would be flooded, but ironically, it was not.
After dropping our luggage off at the cruise ship, we had to take a water bus to get to the famous center of Venice, the Piazza San Marco.
When we got there I noticed that there was a lot of statues with lions with wings. Kieran and I started to count how many times we saw lions with wings. Then my dad told us that the lions were the symbol of Venice. (No wonder...)
We also noticed that in the middle of the piazza, there were some things that looked like low-down tables that were stacked all over the place. Then Kieran asked my dad, "What are those?" And he answered, "Those are the sidewalks that they can put up in the square if it's flooded, so people can still walk there." It was pretty obvious how much it would flood, because it's right next to the canal, and if it rains too much, like it has been recently, it could definitely flood.
We saw a lot of gondolas and nobody was riding in them because it was starting to rain harder.
Because it was raining, I was looking for an umbrella to buy. We saw lots of them for sale, but none of them were that cool. When it stopped raining, I finally found the umbrella I wanted to buy...It has lots of pictures of Venice on it...so I can remember my trip to Venice in the rain.




















No comments:
Post a Comment